Saturday, June 17, 2023
Mariner’s Point Park, Mission Bay, San Diego, CA
7:00AM – 5:00PM
Check out all the details at www.outriggerironchamps.com
MUCHO MAHALO TO ALL OF OUR SPONSORS: Burgeon Beer, ARE Outrigger World, Elder Electric, Leilani’s Attic, ER Canoes, Aloha Collection
- Girls - 10 & Under
- Boys - 10 & Under
- Girls - 12 & Under
- Boys - 12 & Under
- Girls - 14 & Under
- Boys - 14 & Under
- Girls - 16 & Under
- Boys - 16 & Under
- Girls - 19 & Under
- Boys - 19 & Under
- Novice - Men Spec
- Novice - Men UL
- Novice - Women Spec
- Novice - Women UL
- Novice - Co-Ed
- Novice - Co-Ed UL
- Men - Short Course
- Men - Short Course - UL
- Women - Short Course
- Women - Short Course - UL
- Co-Ed - Short Course - UL
- Co-Ed - Juniors (Short)
- Women - 19 & Under
- Women - Spec
- Women - Masters
- Women - Masters UL
- Women - Senior Masters
- Women - Senior Masters UL
- Women - Golden Masters
- Women - Golden Masters UL
- Women - Unlimited
- Co-Ed - Open
- Co-Ed - Open UL
- Co-Ed - Masters
- Co-Ed - Masters UL
- Co-Ed - Sr Masters
- Co-Ed - Sr Masters UL
- Co-Ed - Golden Masters UL
- Co-Ed - Juniors (Long)
- Men - 19 & Under
- Men - Spec
- Men - Masters
- Men - Masters UL
- Men - Senior Masters
- Men - Senior Masters UL
- Men - Golden Masters
- Men - Golden Masters UL
- Men - Unlimited
Friday June 16th, 2023
3:00 – 8:00 pm Unload and rig canoes
Vendor setup, as applicable
4:00 – 6:00 pm Raffle ticket/Merchandise pre-sale pick up
Saturday June 17th, 2023 All times are approximate
7:00 am Hawaiian blessing and Native land acknowledgment Merchandise/raffle/vendor sales open.
7:15 am Keiki race steersperson meeting
7:30 am Race – Keiki
8:15 am Novice, Junior and Short Course steersperson meeting
8:30 am Race – Novice, Junior and Short Course (4-5 miles)
9:00 am Open Steersperson meeting (Men’s and Women’s/Co-ed Races)
10:00 am Open Women and Co-ed launch from beach
10:30 am Race – Open Women and Co-ed (10-12 miles)
11:00 am Food trucks open for lunch service
12:00 pm Beer service starts at Burgeon Beer Garden
12:00 pm Open Men launch from beach
12:30 pm Race – Open Men (10-12 miles)
1:30 pm Start drawing raffle tickets
2:30 pm Novice dance contest (rules listed below)
3:30 pm Awards ceremony (Some awards i.e. keiki, junior may be announced earlier)
4:30 pm Food trucks stop service
Grand raffle prize winner announced, Perpetual Trophy winner announced
5:00 pm Beer service ends, time to clean up
After-party…AQUARIUS BAR & GRILL
Directions & Parking
GPS – search for Mariner’s Point Park in San Diego
From North: From I5 south, exit Sea World Dr. Turn right, follow Sea World
Dr around the Bay. Turn right on W. Mission Bay Drive, take slight right onto
W Mission Bay Dr. Take left on Mariner’s Way across from Bahia Resort.
Race venue is at the end of Mariner’s Way.
From South/East: From I8 west, exit W Mission Bay Dr, turn right. Stay to the
right, follow signs for W Mission Bay Dr. Take left on Mariner’s Way across
from Bahia Resort. Race venue is at the end of Mariner’s Way.
Public parking is available in areas designated as ‘P’ on map.
It can be a little walk to race site, wagons or sherpas may come in handy. Get there early.
Paddlers, do not drive all the way through to the end of
Mariner’s Way. Only trailers and authorized personnel are
allowed and there is no room to turn around.
Trailer Parking Hours: Friday 6/16 3pm – 8pm & Saturday 6/17 5am – 8am.
NOTE: After 8am on Saturday 6/17, trailers will NOT be allowed to enter the lot.
- Trailer parking is extremely limited. It is best to come Friday afternoon 6/16 and leave trailer(s) and canoes overnight. We will have security on the beach overnight on Friday.
- No vehicles will be allowed to park overnight at the race site, hitched or not. Trailers only
- *NEW FOR 2023* Clubs that arrive on Friday will unload canoes on NORTH end of beach. Clubs that arrive Saturday morning will unload on SOUTH end of beach.
- Double up with other clubs for towing if possible. (Save gas money!)
- If your driver arrives Friday before 3pm or after 8pm, park trailer at the Dana Landing launch lot (1600-1908 Dana Landing Rd, San Diego, CA 92109) until the gates open at race site at 5AM. Do not attempt to pull in at race site. You will not be given access and you will not be able to turn the trailer around. You will be ticketed if you leave trailer there.
- Parking is FREE.
- Email James Rojas at firstname.lastname@example.org with your club name, driver name, and trailer arrival time/date.
Race Venue Info
Race site is at Mariner’s Point Park, 1100 W Mission Bay Dr., San Diego, CA 92109 – Mariner’s Point Park – Google Maps
After Party is at Aquarius Bar & Grill, 1548 Quivira Way, Unit 5, San Diego, CA 92109 – Aquarius Bar & Grille – Google Maps
***No dogs, no glass, no smoking, no outside alcohol allowed on beach.***Please follow the rules, our future permits with City of San Diego depend on it.
Visiting Crew Information
All paddlers, visitors, guest of clubs or support staff must complete a 2023 SCORA Liability Waiver. No exceptions. Sign waiver here
We have a new site and with that come some changes.
If anyone from your club has participated in a SCORA race in the past, please use your club’s account login and do not create another one and login here.
If new to racing with SCORA register here
Once in your account:
- Enter a coach if not already in there. Must enter them as “New”
- IF using your own canoes – check borrowed
- When it says “select the canoe you will be borrowing”, scroll down to “canoe not listed”, check the box of type, then type the canoe number. No need for color or name.
- If borrowing from SCORA – same as #3 but put “unknown” in the canoe number space
- Paddler input screen comes up – enter all of your paddlers under “Guest”.
- Select a coach
- Hit next and you will be sent to the payment screen. Pay in person or online.
Race Course Maps
Short Course – approx. 5 mi
Begin at Mariner’s Point, travel west along north jetty, leave channel briefly, turn on bell buoy, re-enter Mission Bay, travel east along south jetty, three miles, turn on planted triangle buoy, return to finish lint at Mariner’s Point.
Women/Co-ed/Men Course – approx. 10-12 mi
Start will be outside Mission Bay jetty. Follow starter’s instructions for alignment. Course will be triangular, to be aligned with swell direction for final leg to be down swell. Reenter jetty along south wall. There will be a left-hand turn at the base of the channel prior to crossing traffic and entering
Mariner’s cove for the finish.
Food & Drink
Iron Champs will have a variety of food vendors for breakfast & lunch. For breakfast, all the food trucks will have something to offer. Lunch is provided by Leilani’s and Taco Love trucks, beach sweets by Aloha Ice Co and beer is provided by one of San Diego’s finest craft breweries – Burgeon!
The BURGEON Beer Garden
Thanks to Burgeon Beer–a local craft brewery on its way to being the FIRST OCEAN POSITIVE brewery
in the world!
- No small fenced-in beer garden at this race! ID cards will be checked near the beer service area and all
21 years old and up will have wristbands.
- What you can do at the beer garden – wander the race venue with your beer in hand – shop with your
beer, hang out and watch the dance contest with your beer, visit your club area with your beer, cheer
at the finish line with your beer.
- What can you NOT do?
- You cannot use the beer garden cup to fill with your own beer.
- You cannot share or buy beer with those without wrist bands.
- You cannot walk out of the race venue with oan pen drink. There will be a fence at the gate entrance and there will be a security guard posted.
- Security guards and San Diego PD will be at the race site throughout the day. Don’t be that person.
- ***New for 2023*** In line with a zero waste event: Every beer drinker will receive a reusable cup with their drink tickets, to be rinsed and used throughout the day. Take them home with you!
The Dana on Mission Bay 1710 West Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 Reservations 1-800-445-3339 / www.thedana.com
Paradise Point Resort and Spa 1404 Vacation Road, San Diego, CA 92109 Reservations (858) 581-5924 / www.paradisepoint.com
Holiday Inn Express San Diego – Mission Bay 4610 De Soto Street, San Diego, CA 92109 Reservations (858) 483-9800 / www.ichotelsgroup.com
Merchandise & Raffle
Visit our store www.OutriggerIronChamps.com
You can win this: V1 MAKO HYBRID-CARBON (CA) – aretahiti.com
Online merchandise and raffle Pre-Sale opens on 5/26 (if not sooner) and closes at Midnight 6/14. We have a limited amount of pre-sale inventory so act fast while supplies last! All
Pre-Sale items will be available for pick up Friday 6/16 4pm –6pm and on race day and additional merchandise will be available for purchase on race day as well.
Pre-sale raffle tickets will have names pre-printed on the ticket. Please make sure to include name, phone number, and club name in “merchant comments” section.
ARE V1 Raffle: 1 ticket for $10, 6 tickets for $50, 13 for $100
General Raffle: 1 ticket for $1, 25 tickets for $20
Novice Dance Contest
- One novice team per club can register
- Dancers must be registered as novice paddlers in 2023 to participate. No coaches or choreographers are
allowed to sneak onto the stage.
- Each dance must be less than three minutes.
- There are two categories that teams can enter:
- traditional island music/dance
- contemporary music/dance
- Costumes and props are encouraged.
- Teams must register by 6/05 and submit music by 6/12 in order to be included in the competition.
- Submit your music early. If a song is already claimed, you’ll need to choose another.
- Register here: https://forms.gle/hmuGemzRXQZuZRm18
Zero Waste Initiatives
- Take home what you brought in, leave nothing behind.
- Bring your own water bottle, fill it up at our water station.
- There will be compost and recycle bins all over. Please use them.
- Some tips we can all use (borrowed from “5 R’s of Zero Waste Living” by Bea Johnson of Zero Waste Home)
1. REFUSE what you do not need.
2. REDUCE what you do need; reconsider just how much stuff you actually need.
3. REUSE by repurposing things, or by using reusable objects like metal straws.
4. RECYCLE what you cannot refuse, reduce or reuse.
5. ROT (compost) the rest