The Crystal Pier Outrigger Canoe Race is a Southern California Outrigger Racing Association Race, hosted by Hanohano Canoe Club in San Diego, CA. The race draws 1500+ participants annually who battle in a 6-mile short course, novice and kid’s race as well as a 10-mile men, women and coed races in six person outrigger canoes.
- Girls - 10 & Under
- Girls - 12 & Under
- Girls - 14 & Under
- Girls - 16 & Under
- Boys - 10 & Under
- Boys - 12 & Under
- Boys - 14 & Under
- Boys - 16 & Under
- Girls - 19 & Under
- Boys - 19 & Under
- Novice - Men Spec
- Novice - Men UL
- Novice - Women Spec
- Novice - Women UL
- Novice - Co-Ed
- Novice - Co-Ed UL
- Men - Short Course - UL
- Men - Short Course
- Women - Short Course
- Woman - Short Course - UL
- Co-Ed - Short Course - UL
- Co-Ed - Juniors (Short)
- Women - 19 & Under
- Women - Spec
- Women - Masters
- Women - Masters UL
- Women - Senior Masters
- Women - Senior Masters UL
- Women - Golden Masters
- Women - Golden Masters UL
- Women - Unlimited
- Co-Ed - Open
- Co-Ed - Open UL
- Co-Ed - Masters
- Co-Ed - Masters UL
- Co-Ed - Sr Masters
- Co-Ed - Sr Masters UL
- Co-Ed - Golden Masters UL
- Co-Ed - Juniors (Long)
- Men - 19 & Under
- Men - Spec
- Men - Masters
- Men - Masters UL
- Men - Senior Masters
- Men - Senior Masters UL
- Men - Golden Masters
- Men - Golden Masters UL
- Men - Unlimited
Schedule of Events
● 7:00 AM – Registration, coffee and breakfast vendors open
● 7:00 AM – Merchandise, vendors, silent auction, and raffle tents open
● 7:45 AM – Keiki Race Steersman Meeting
● 8:00 AM – Keiki Race Start from Beach
● 8:00 AM – Novice, junior, and short course steersperson meeting
● 8:30 AM – Novice, junior, and short course race starts (approx. 4 miles)
● 9:00 AM – Open steersperson meeting
● 10:00 AM – Women/coed race starts (approx. 10 miles)
● 12:00 PM – Men’s race starts (approx. 10 miles)
● 12:00 PM – Beer garden opens
● 2:00 PM – Last raffle prize and silent auction announced
● 2:30 PM – Load boats on trailers
● 3:30 PM – Awards ceremony – Raffle announcements immediately following awards
● 5:00 PM – Beer garden closes
Directions & Parking
The race is at Crown Point Shores Park that offers a large grass park for teams to set camps and a more canoe friendly beach for launching. Take I-5 Freeway Exit Sea World Drive and go west. Pass Sea World and take Ingraham St. exit on your right. Get in middle lane (that is two lanes over to the left) heading north. After going over the first bridge proceed in the right lane over the second bridge and turn right on Crown Point Drive, which is the stoplight at the end of the bridge. The park is immediately on the right side – turn into first driveway.
Parking is free and the lot is large enough to accommodate all participants. Please do not park in any spots reserved for SCORA officials and the SCORA van and park legally in marked spots. Tickets will be issued to any vehicles parked in red zones or taking up more than one spot.
Location and Permit Regulations
NO DOGS, NO GLASS, NO LOADING, AND UNLOADING IN RED ZONES, NO SMOKING, and NO ALCOHOL.
These rules apply on the beach, in the park, and in the parking lots. FYI our permit includes the services of the San Diego Police Department; two officers are assigned to our event for the entire day.
Race Registration is now on www.scora.org
Any issues please contact email@example.com
Note: It is imperative that all paddlers including each member from SCORA and each member of a visiting crew, all coaches, all escort skippers, any person on any escort boat for any reason, and any person who accompanies that crew in any capacity sign a current SCORA Release of Liability Waiver.
Visiting Crew Information
If anyone from your club has participated in a SCORA race in the past, please use your club’s account login and do not create another one and login here.
If new to racing with SCORA register here
Once in your account:
- Enter a coach if not already in there. Must enter them as “New”
- IF using your own canoes – check borrowed
- When it says “select the canoe you will be borrowing”, scroll down to “canoe not listed”, check the box of type, then type the canoe number. No need for color or name.
- If borrowing from SCORA – same as #3 but put “unknown” in the canoe number space
- Paddler input screen comes up – enter all of your paddlers under “Guest”.
- Select a coach
- Hit next and you will be sent to the payment screen. Pay in person or online.
Trailer unloading will take place and the far north end of the parking lot. Trailers can start unloading at 3PM on Friday. Please rig boats on the grass in order to keep the parking lot open to traffic. Parking for the trailers will be on the dirt lot at the far north end of the park. There will be security for the canoes overnight.
Medals will be awarded to first, second, and third place winners!
A variety of vendors including paddling equipment, Hawaiian cultural art vendors, and food will be open throughout the day from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
To request a vendor space, please visit www.hanohano.com/crystal-pier-vendor
Beer garden will open at 12:00 PM and close at 5:00 PM. All beer garden participants must be 21+ with a valid ID. Security will be on hand to check IDs.
Raffle and Silent Auction
Raffle and silent auction will be open from 7:00 AM – 2:00 PM. Raffle will be called throughout the day. Must be present to win. Silent auction items will close at 2:00 PM and be available for pick up from 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM. Last call for all raffle and silent auction items will be immediately after the awards ceremony. Cash, and credit cards accepted.
Breakfast and Lunch
Coffee, breakfast and lunch vendors will be available on race day.
The Dana on Mission Bay
1710 West Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109
Reservations 1-800-445-3339 / www.thedana.com
Paradise Point Resort and Spa
1404 Vacation Road, San Diego, CA 92109
Reservations (858) 581-5924 / www.paradisepoint.com
Holiday Inn Express San Diego – Mission Bay
4610 De Soto Street, San Diego, CA 92109
Reservations (858) 483-9800 / www.ichotelsgroup.com
Pacific Shores Inn
4802 Mission Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92109
Reservations (858) 483-6300 / http://pacific-shores-inn.pacificahost.com